Here is a list of original books and essays by Jack Matthews listed in reverse chronological order. This is a work-in-progress, and as of June 2013 is a small portion of the bibliography. Reviews and critical essays about Jack Matthews will appear on a separate page.
Works on the Web (in reverse chronological order)
- Jack Matthews, Arthur and Adele: A Philosopher’s Strange, Complicated (and Tragic) Relationship with his Sister. Book excerpt from Philosopher’s Will: Das Testament by Jack Matthews. Published Oct 19 2015 on ghostlypopulations.com with permission of the publisher.
- Jack Matthews. Is Sarah Palin Smarter than Barack Obama? , Originally published on the Athens Time website in slightly modified form. Sept 7 2010.
- Jack Matthews. Nathaniel Hawthorne’s Untold Tale, The Chronicle Review. 15 August 2010. Accessed: 29 August 2010.
- Jack Matthews & Robert Nagle. Interview with U.S. Short Story Writer Jack Matthews. Feb, 2010. Accessed 29 August 2010. (mirrored on Imaginaryplanet and also Teleread.com Part 1 ,Part 2, Part 3, Part 4 , Part 5)
- Jack Matthews. On Choosing the Right Name for a story character. Mirrored on Teleread.com here. Accessed: August 30, 2010.
- Hughes Matt (pseudonym). Flash Fictions: Agni Online. 2008. Anecdotal Spores: Progeria, Anecdotal Spores: The Character Actor, Anecdotal Spores: The Crazy Uncle, Anecdotal Spores: The Lesson, Anecdotal Spores: Walking on Words. Accessed: August 30, 2010.
- Jack Matthews. Schopenhauer, Pirandello and Playwriting. Found on the Dramatic Publishing website. Web Publication date (estimated): 2005. Accessed: June, 2013.
- Jack Matthews. Ambrose Bierce and the Joy of Outrage. Found on the Ambrose Bierce site. First appeared in Ohioana Quarterly, Fall, 2004. Accessed: August 30, 2010.
- Jack Matthews. Poetry of Ambrose Bierce. Found on the Ambrose Bierce site. First appeared in Ohio Review, Fall 1997. Accessed: August 30, 2010.
- Questionnaire for Rudolph Gordon. (complete story found on Google Books version of Sudden Fiction Anthology). Accessed: August 30, 2010.
- Personal/Political Essays by Jack Matthews published in the Freeman: Ideas on Liberty journal: Kafka’s Bureaucratic Nightmare, (April 1992 • Volume: 42 • Issue: 4); Feminist Censorship (January 1992 • Volume: 42 • Issue: 1 ); A Report from the World of Suggestive Looks (July 1991 • Volume: 41 • Issue: 7);
- Schopenhauer’s Will. Published in Czech translation as SCHOPENHAUEROVA VULE, (H&H Publishers in Prague). English publication by Nine Point Publishing in Fall 2013.
- The Evil Sparrow Play Book (a hybrid play/novel loosely based on Schopenhauer). Unpublished.
- Gambler’s Nephew (novel). Etrusan Press, July 2011 (read the review page for this book on this site).
- Storyhood as We Know It and Other Tales. Baltimore and London, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1993.
- Interview with a Sphinx, (Play) Dramatic Publishing Company, 1992
- Moonless Place, a Novella by Jack Matthews. from Human Anatomy: Three Fictions (An anthology of novellas by 3 authors). Bottom Dog Press, 1993
- Dirty Tricks (stories). Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1990.
- Ghostly Populations. Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1987.
- Crazy Women. Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1985.
- Sassafras (novel). Boston, Houghton Mifflin, 1983.
- Dubious Persuasions (stories). Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1981.
- Tales of the Ohio Land (stories). Columbus, Ohio Historical Society, 1978.
- Pictures of the Journey Back (novel). New York, Harcourt Brace, 1973.
- The Charisma Campaigns (novel). New York, Harcourt Brace, 1972.
- The Tale of Asa Bean (novel). New York, Harcourt Brace, 1971.
- Beyond the Bridge (novel). New York, Harcourt Brace, 1970.
- In a Theater of Buildings (poetry). Marshall, Minnesota, Ox Head Press, 1970.
- Hanger Stout, Awake! (novel) New York, Harcourt Brace, 1967. (to be republished as an ebook in November 2011).
- Bitter Knowledge(stories). New York, Scribner, 1964.
- An Almanac for Twilight (poetry). Chapel Hill, University of North Carolina Press, 1966.
Book of Essays
- A Worker’s Writebook, (how-to book on writing). Published as an ebook in August 2011.
- Reading Matter: Rhetorical Muses of a Rabid Bibliophile. New Castle, Delaware, Oak Knoll Press, 2000.
- Booking Pleasures. Athens, Ohio University Press, 1996.
- Editor, Rare Book Lore: Selections from the Letters of Ernest J. Wessen. Athens, Ohio University Press, 1992.
- Memoirs of a Bookman. Athens, Ohio University Press, 1990.
- Booking in the Heartland. Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1986.
- Collecting Rare Books for Pleasure and Profit. New York, Putnam, 1977.
- Editor, Archetypal Themes in the Modern Story (anthology). New York, St. Martin’s Press, 1973
- Editor, with Elaine Gottlieb Hemley, The Writer’s Signature: Idea in Story and Essay. Chicago, Scott Foresman, 1972.
Book Reviews/Critical Introductions
- Jack Matthews, 100 Days of Counting (Book Review of Joyce Carol Oates’ Raven’s Wings). New York Times Book Review. October 5, 1986. Accessed: Aug 30 2010.
- Jack Matthews, Forward to book Dave Smith: A literary archive by Robert J. DeMott. Reprinted on Wired for Books. Accessed August 30 2010.
Anthology Contributions/Uncollected Essays, Etc
- Jack Matthews, “On Norman Douglas’ South Wind”. Found in Rediscoveries: Informal Essays in which well-known novelists rediscover neglected works of fiction by one of their favorite authors. Edited and with an introduction by David Madden. Crown Publishers Inc, New York 1971. pp 190-197. (South Wind is a public domain novel available as a free download at Project Gutenberg).
- Jack Matthews, “Pilgrimages in Time,” Found in My Poor Elephant: 27 Male Writers at Work, Edited by Eve Shelnutt. Longstreet Press, Atlanta. pp. 185-193.